Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Comp Format idea for AAPG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for a response, i'm down, I already have a couple of teams interested most likely that aren't in the .bdx swing of things.

I help set this up though i better get 3/4ths commission, or some form of incentive.
    and personal satisfaction won't cut it.

I want an award or some title under my name in these forums even if its "Scrub".

Because hands down ask anyone around I'm your favorite pubbers favorite pubber!

TeamWarfare Vet
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by status View Post
    I want an award or some title under my name in these forums even if its "Scrub".
    I can make this happen.
    "Inevitability Mr. Anderson. Without purpose there is no reason to exist... Your death is inevitable."

E . ` ' / . F Your tears fuel me. ≡√≡

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SOOO, are you wanting to add FLO maps to the comp map rotation or do a FLO league?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    flo league would be cool , i think flo and bdx should be seperate though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want a seperate .flo league

I'm not trying to influence or change the bdx format, something i have hardly had any involvement in.

since mid open beta RFI 2 / 3 I thought one of the flaws of the comp scene was the lack of inclusion for the .flo players and pubbers..

Part of the reason why AA2's comp scene was so successful was because there was an effort to make teams of all skill levels,
    and varieties not only feel, but actually be included..

However this did not happen over night

What better way to increase activity in the .bdx leagues is there than to have a .flo league

I feel ( don't have evidence to support this ) that most new active pubbers and players, as well as a majority of the experienced active pubbers play the .flo format

why do I feel this way? because of the amount of players and server activity i see at any given time seems to be leaning stronger toward the .flo format

again i don't have evidence to support this - this is just my opinion based off of my observations

even if its 50/50%

you are missing out on tapping into half or greater than half of a potential comp scene

Lack of inclusion will not promote new players to pick up comp.

Organize it, Promote it, Build it and they will come.

I feel going this route will not only increase comp activity,

but may bring in more comp based players from other games, or ex - aa players as well.

If anyone is interested in helping with this format, please let me know as a group of peoples ideas are always better than a single persons.

I can be contacted on here, or add me on steam - as i don't participate in the official AA forums anymore ..

I can personally tell you from my POV that a couple of the main reasons i have not participated in the comp scene is

A.) I'm not very interested in the game play of the bdx format, as it feels strats are heavily limited and restricted, due to limited possibilities with small open maps where people who exclusively play these maps and find every little intricate sight line and it is not so much targeted toward team work as it is toward independent skill combined into team play..

B.) One of my favorite aspects of comp in AA1/2 was all the different types of strats and counter strats that maps could attain. A a few of great examples of these types of maps being Weapons Cache, Collapsed Tunnel, Pipeline, and Mout Mckenna.

C.) The comp scene in AA1/2 had pretty much maps of all varieties/ shapes and sizes included.
    I frequently remember people complaining about having to practice and scrim for matches on maps such as Mountain Pass, MPSE, Bridge, BridgeSE, a dynamic that has seemingly been stripped from the comp scene in PG - not only does this ad diversity, it adds incentive, and further builds team chemistry, and possible outcome in leagues and tournaments.

Reason being - if comp is only targeted to one style of map and one style of play, it limits which teams will continue to play well.
    Influence how teams are chosen and built, and constricts who will ultimately be involved in comp.
    The latter being one of the biggest issues facing the comp scene.

If we re-shape and build the comp scene the right way, that will naturally attract more players and teams toward AAPG

if you look at steam charts AAPG's current population trend is almost lower than pre-final game release before Game went from Open beta to final game.. our population is trending down - not a great thing for a comp scene trying to promote new leagues and tournaments.

Part of the reason AA1/2 was so successful in drawing in a large crowd was the diversity of the comp scene, and its inclusion, and promotion of its self. as well as independent 3rd party communities such as AAOtracker (battletracker at the end)

Sorry to leave a novel - but I feel I do have a point, and some half decent ideas and logic behind those ideas

Something that never gained any traction in the official forums because of the dynamic of that community which is why I stay away from the official forums..

All I want, and what I assume is that what you all want to, is to see a successful comp community grow and prosper and attract teams of all skill levels.

it used to be that to find 5v5 scrims were no problem, the winter league of 2014 was really the last time I saw comp as being or feeling active. again not a great trend for a community thats trying to grow it's self as open beta should not be more popular as final game. The 4v4 bdx style feels even more ADHD to me.

again just my two cents, and i tried to keep it short, but I've sat quiet regarding this matter for far too long, and i felt
    that an outside pubbers view coming from a former comp player in AA1/2 with close to 100 TWL matches played, CAL matches played as well, etc. and for a while scrimmed 2-5 times a day. I know many of you are from that same vintage and cloth I just don't understand where this huge disconnect happened. Maybe its a combo of an influence and technology, and the need for instant gratification. but im not a psychologist. So this is where my post ends..

sorry for the novel again.

AA:PG Admin
    TWL Staff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With 5's, it opens up the opportunity to play flo maps that were not ideal in 4's. We will be looking at all the flo maps and figure out which ones would do the best in comp. Some of the flo maps are just too big for the mainstream leagues.

We can definitely setup an all FLO ladder but depending on the support base. I don't know if an all FLO league will have a good turn out as the standard 5's league. We can always explore the options in the future and if we can get enough teams wanting to do a FLO league. Then we can definitely setup that league for those teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xtopherus View Post
    I never said 4v4 is better than 5v5 and I have been playing comp since beta. I must say, I don't believe I recognize you.
    I assume you never played comp in EU, that explains we dont recognize eachother. But correct if I'm wrong, I haven't seen anyone voting for a 4vs4 yet, just 5vs5. If what you're saying is true, that you go for what the players want, why keep insisting with 4vs4? 5vs5 IMO makes more sense because of weapon role slection, map size, and it is a balanced amount of players to build a team. Most comp. games use 5 players per team for a game. You guys get offended so quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe even a hybrid league or crossover league i don't know, but for flo i was thinking 6v6 anyhow..

sooner or later the comp scene is going to have to worry less about who the best team is, and only footing the best players. and step out of your fragile egotistical shells or else no new players are going to want to even try comp.

You will never have a successful comp scene if you're only targeting or only including the best players..

How are new players or even half decent experienced players expected to grow and learn if they arent familiar with comp?

What i mean by this, by thinking the current standard scope of the comp scene is going to be the only opinion of you your target audience you're already defeating yourself and the point of a comp scene.

if 5v5 or 6v6 is "too big" for comp on flo maps such as overload ( which i think would be a great map for comp btw ) then this whole comp scene is doomed, not every single person is interested in competitive play on a tiny grid with limited play outcomes

I laugh because you guys all feel like the comp scene is growing stale (even a reason some top tier players / teams have given up the game altogether), but have a hard time even considering that some people may be interested in a non ADHD league that isn't on extremley tiny maps with 2 minute rounds

Like how can you want change and not want change at the same time, or at least consider other ideas and opportunities that are out of the "mainstream" realm..

what made AA 1/2 the most popular and most downloaded FPS game of all time is because it went against the traditional mainstream thread of all FPS games..

Or maybe i'm entirely wrong and just a 27 year old lost in a society that's too far gone, and needs instant gratification,
    with the quickest fastest play possible. and room for limited strats and actual teamwork,

Sure you have positional awareness and talk and call out, and have basic strats, but how many strats can you really run on a small square where you can shoot through a bunch of walls..

I just don't see the fun in that? and nor do you guys which is why the comp scene fails to grow, and keeps growing stale

And which is why the 4v4 format even started in the first place because you guys went from being able to constantly field 5v5 scrims and matches but the tiredness of the same stale formats and limited possible outcomes made a lot of the community give up or leave..

It's like you sit there thinking "how can we come up with different ways to make this more fresh and attract more teams"
    but at the same time you're beyond stubborn and set in rigid firm ways. because you cant step outside your comfort zone or outside the competitive realm and look in on it from an outsiders perspective..

But i truly am starting to think that im just a 27 year old lost in a community full of people with 0 attention span that need instant gratification and instant wins or losses.

It's funny to see after taking a break from PC gaming from when AA3 came out i quit PC gaming altogether, i only game back in Nov.11 2013 when i found out AAPG was in beta. to see how much things have changed. People liked AA1/2 comp because it wasnt like CS, or all those arcade style unreal engine based FPS games. ( and other arcade style FPS).. Its like technology and living in a more advanced society with smart phones and instant access to everyone and everything has rotted everyones brain and attention span

/ end of rant. and im not hating on anyone or disagreeing with any of you or trying to put anyone down, but really..

I bet a lot of people would take interest in a different format.. why not set a trend rather then follow or at least think of some alternate format that may work and run it by people in the official forums, and send the links to people on your steam friends list..

its like we have all the tools (way more than what we had in AA1/2) to make such a successful tight knit community that can expand but no one bothers with anything fresh just targets one set of ADHD style gaming

AA:PG Admin
    TWL Staff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkeiro View Post
    I assume you never played comp in EU, that explains we dont recognize eachother. But correct if I'm wrong, I haven't seen anyone voting for a 4vs4 yet, just 5vs5. If what you're saying is true, that you go for what the players want, why keep insisting with 4vs4? 5vs5 IMO makes more sense because of weapon role slection, map size, and it is a balanced amount of players to build a team. Most comp. games use 5 players per team for a game. You guys get offended so quickly.
    Since I am from the USA and this is an NA tournament, you would be correct that I have never played Comp in EU. Unlike EU, NA has been primarily 4's in the pass with a very small community. With the temporary gaming script TWL is currently using, we wanted to have a simple tournament to bring awareness to the community about TWL. This is why the 4's format was being used and not until recently was there a huge push for 5's. After talking to countless number of people about 5's and the public wanting to move to the 5's format. So we quickly put up a vote.
    Last edited by xtopherus; 02-26-2016 at 01:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be open to a 6v6 flo tournament or league, it would be interesting to see which teams sign up. I just don't see it being a huge success, I don't see all that many pub clans that are interested in any kind of comp... buy IK would sign up, we have enough guys and a change is always welcome. I could see most flo maps being played.. cold front, meh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information