Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Comp Format idea for AAPG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xtopherus View Post
    Since I am from the USA and this is an NA tournament, you would be correct that I have never played Comp in EU. Unlike EU, NA has been primarily 4's in the pass with a very small community. With the temporary gaming script TWL is currently using, we wanted to have a simple tournament to bring awareness to the community about TWL. This is why the 4's format was being used and not until recently was there a huge push for 5's. After talking to countless number of people about 5's and the public wanting to move to the 5's format. So we quickly put up a vote.
    Exactly I have been reading about some players from NA they want 5vs5 instead of 4vs4. I know you have been playing 4vs4 for quite a while, but I think its because of lack of teams or players to fill a team. Also, I know as well TWL was focusing on NA first, but EU wants tournaments here too, so why not make same rules for both and maybe, who knows, EU and NA could play together one day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why divide the comp community with a FLO league? It would be smarter to just make the league 5v5 with FLO maps added to the rotation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think flo maps would be great. Some of the funest matches I had in aa2 were on big maps like river basin, woodland outpost, farm raid, radio tower. It worked well with 4v4 in aa2. But 5v5 with the speed of aapg is just an overall better experience on any map really. People say it makes maps like Breach, Lockdown, and Crossfire to 1 sided but most aa2 maps were also 1 sided and that just made it more challenging. You would see teams doing crazy stuff on attack just to get 1 round before half.

I'm just here so I don't get fined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting teams to consistently field 5 will be interesting. I'm more inclined to get a 4 v 4 going first and then visit the idea pending participation and feedback from teams involved

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3rdId has like 40+ members you going to have trouble fielding 5th or you just can't find a decent 5th? I am sure out of your 40+ members you can find someone interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maps like Inner Hospital, and Harbor Assault are indeed played in comp. Here's the reasons why more FLO maps are not played:

Many comp player believe Slums, Coldfront, Overload, etc are not good maps for comp. Meaning that their objectives are not placed strategically, and/or that they sight lines are not properly done. It really has very little to do with their size.

The truth is that we simply have not scrimmed on these maps enough. Currently we have Wolverine editing maps to make them more "comp oriented." However, without really scrimming Slums, Coldfront, Overload, etc, we don't know where changes need to be made, if any. Suggestions to possibly fixing these maps have been made, but then again it's important to test these maps first before jumping to any conclusions.

So really, the push needs to be made for comp teams to actually scrim these maps and see which (if any) need fixing, and what exactly needs to be changed.

AA:PG Admin
    TWL Staff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont agree entirely with you conclusion Dragon, regardless the fact that you are right about the fact of the competitive teams doesn't scrim in these kind of maps.

Take for example Coldfront. You can play it c4 or extration. In both types, the plant sites or the extration sites are very far from each other. To try to defend it, you need to spread your team completly, making the map to ballanced to the assault, that could invest in only one site. The map is goint to be decided accordint to the individual skill instead of the team work. The same happens with the Slums or Overload.

If instead of these maps, you talk about Downtown or Three Kings, you will need to make one of two things. Or you adapt the maps to be more balanced and you will get Shadowstep and Watchdog, or you give more time for the assult to work their corners. Since most of the competitive teams prefer to play rounds between 150 and 180 seconds, you use mainly the adapted maps... Shadow and Watch.

Harbor, works very well because have a very balanced objective, wasn't it one of the most played maps in the AA history, under it's former format, Urban Assault. And Inner, its also moreless balanced, were the team work can overcome the individual skill.
    Last edited by spetnaz; 03-01-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defense shouldn't necessarily be able to defend both plant sites with equal strength in any map. Defense can use communication to determine which plant site Attack is heading towards. Smart rotations along with teamwork would make this work. Additionally, there's nothing wrong with a defensive favored map. If we look at the most successful game in FPS right now CS:GO, many maps favor one side more than another. Even looking back at AA2, maps were not always balanced and many were much larger than AAPGs. Many variables are involved and more testing needs to be done. Ruling them out would be a mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about a hybrid approach. First, let's decide which maps are 4s, 5s, 6s. Then create a map list for the season that has all 3 in it?

W1: CrossFire 4v4
    W2: Intercept C4 6v6
    W3: Springstreet 5v5
    W4: and so on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you took away the z objective and closed down the cave and south behind the garage cold front could be pretty good for comp. you would then have 3 routes north middle and south road. And only use c4 and Y plant site.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information