Skip Navigation

Author
Thread New Thread / Reply to Thread
[-NM-] -SS-
TeamWarfare Vet
05-07-2012 10:16 PM / profile

Are Educators Showing a 'Positive Bias' to Minority Students?

Remember that teacher you grumbled about back in your school days, the really tough one who made you work so hard, insisted you could do better, and made you sweat for your A's? The one you didn't appreciate until after you graduated and realized how much you had learned?

Teachers read and commented on a poorly written essay which they believed was composed by a student in a writing class. Some teachers thought the student was black, some thought the student was Latino, and some thought that the student was white. Teachers believed that their feedback would be sent directly to the student, in order to see how the student would benefit from their comments and advice.
In fact, there was no actual student, and the poorly written essay was developed by Harber and his team. The real purpose was to see how teachers would respond to subpar work due to the race of the student who composed it. As Harber and his team predicted, the teachers displayed a "positive feedback bias," providing more praise and less criticism if they thought the essay was written by a minority student than by a white student.

MOAR

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120504143023.htm

Is this the new way to keep black people down through "positive praise" (aka PC)?

True / False?

Studies suggest they do.
Coba|t
TeamWarfare Vet
05-07-2012 10:21 PM / profile

Too much qualitative analysis, not enough quantitative hard data.

They ask a teacher to make a qualitative assessment of a paper.

Then they qualitatively assess the comments.

Then they qualitatively assessed the teacher's "social support" (which they didn't define, but it seems like a qualitative assessment).

All with a sample size of 113.

It barely registers an importance of "needs further study" in my opinion, but interesting article, and a much better thread title than I've seen in... other places.
Bibimbap
Kimchee!
TeamWarfare Vet
05-07-2012 10:23 PM / profile

I don't know why the teachers are bothering to suck someone's dick over a badly written essay...

It's not like the perceived student's parent give a shit.
Mockery
TeamWarfare Vet
05-07-2012 10:35 PM / profile

Originally posted by: Bibimbap
I don't know why the teachers are bothering to suck someone's dick over a badly written essay...

It's not like the perceived student's parent give a shit.

It's actually part of their mandatory credentialing program now in CA.

Between CLIP, CLAD, and the rest of the bullshit they shove down their poor teachers throats.

CLIP teachers consists of English teachers, with Multiple Subject Credential with emphasis on Cross-cultural, Language and Academic Development (CLAD) credentials and Mandarin and bilingual teachers with Multiple Subject credential with Bilingual, Cross-cultural, Language and Academic Development (BCLAD) certification in addition to the California required subject certification.[9] Teachers visit other bilingual schools in the Bay Area. CLIP has also provided additional professional development and training by Dr. Ji-Mei Chang, professor at San Jose State University and consultant to CLIP.
~~Snake~~
On a 2 week vacation
05-07-2012 10:38 PM / profile

Can I axe you sum thin? Why u gotta hate on blacks!
05-07-2012 10:45 PM / profile

Originally posted by: ~~Snake~~
Can I axe you sum thin? Why u gotta hate on blacks!

What that be look like? That disnt be no nevermind.
Pillbug
Diplomat
TeamWarfare Vet
05-07-2012 10:56 PM / profile

Originally posted by: Coba|t

Then they qualitatively assessed the teacher's "social support" (which they didn't define, but it seems like a qualitative assessment).

It barely registers an importance of "needs further study" in my opinion, but interesting article, and a much better thread title than I've seen in... other places.

I guess shit data is only useful when it's used for your climate change argument, huh?
Mockery
TeamWarfare Vet
05-07-2012 10:57 PM / profile

Originally posted by: Pillbug

I guess shit data is only useful when it's used for your climate change argument, huh?

No he didn't........

Coba|t
TeamWarfare Vet
05-07-2012 11:04 PM / profile

Qualitative data is open to interpretation at every step, such as judging a comment, for example you have a shitty qualitative analysis of my argument right now.

However, quantitative data such as temperature measurements are more refined and reliable.
Mockery
TeamWarfare Vet
05-08-2012 12:13 AM / profile

Qualitative data is open to interpretation at every step, such as judging a comment, for example you have a shitty qualitative analysis of my argument right now.

However, quantitative data such as temperature measurements are more refined and reliable.

Indeed.....but only so long as measurement tolerances, absolute error, and modeling/simulation inaccuracies are sufficiently understood.

Without that, as we learned recently with CERN, neutrinos can travel faster than light..........and especially so when they have loose connections, bad localized timing oscillators, and fail to provide for equipment errors and propagation delays of GPS timing synchronizers.

In the end, we all put our faith into something. Be it a subjective or an objective reality, defined by either qualitative or quantitative data, backed by empirically or idealistically validated results........

The more complicated the model, the more assumptions that have to be made, the more room for error exists it seems.
Mockery
TeamWarfare Vet
05-08-2012 12:16 AM / profile

What the global warming model is trying to quantitatively establish is causation. Not so much that the planet is warming.

And rather than arguing for warming I think they would be better served keeping with global climate change......but now that dipshits are so blindly attached to that name it's never likely to change.

samUwell
TeamWarfare Vet
TWL Contributor
05-08-2012 12:17 AM / profile

Stryk
TeamWarfare Vet
05-08-2012 05:41 AM / profile

That's why when you put random temperature data and proxy data with an average mean that's constant year over year into the hockey stick creators' model, you always get a hockey stick.
Killet
I Worship GoddessWolfie
TeamWarfare Vet
05-08-2012 07:11 AM / profile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17953792

~~Snake~~
On a 2 week vacation
05-08-2012 08:44 AM / profile

Maybe these teachers should teach these kids not to wear gold teeth! Wait, thats a little racist to assume that these kids were black!!!

Teenagers Attacked, Robbed Of Gold Teeth
Monday May 7, 2012 10:49 PM
UPDATED: Monday May 7, 2012 10:50 PM
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Police Monday continued to search for those responsible for attacking two teenagers.

According to the teenagers, a group of adults attacked the boys and stole their cell phones, tennis shoes and removable gold teeth.

Michael Hogan, 13, said that he was terrified when a man pointed a gun in his face, 10TV’s Jason Frazer reported.

“(I) started thinking of my mom, my niece, my brothers,” Hogan said. “I knew one of the dudes and was like, ‘Don’t you know me from playing basketball?’ and he said, ‘It is what it is.’”

Hogan said that he and his cousin, Dariest Rogers, 15, were walking to Deshler Park Sunday to play basketball when the two were approached by two men.

“He said, ‘Do you have a problem with me,’ and I said, ‘No, I don’t have a problem,’ and that’s when he pulled up his shirt and we saw a gun,” Rogers said.

Rogers said that he and his cousin tried to cut through a nearby school but were blocked by another group of five men, Frazer reported.

“He showed me the gun, and he said, ‘If you run, we’re going to start shooting,’” Rogers said.

Rogers said that he tried to fight off one of the men.

“Another dude ran up and hit me, and (the) dude got up and hit me with the gun,” Rogers said.

Rogers said that was when the other men held him and his cousin down and robbed them.

“They got away with our shoes, our phones, my gold teeth and our hats,” Rogers said.

Both teenagers were taken to a hospital with minor injuries and were released.

Hogan said that he just wanted those responsible to be caught by police.

“I really don’t go outside very much,” Hogan said.

Police said that they made two arrests in connection with the teenagers’ assaults. Two people were charged with felony assault.
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/05/07/columbus-teenagers-attacked-robbed-of-gold-teeth.html
05-08-2012 09:32 AM / profile

Are you denying that just because the reporting doesnt contain enough of the actual data that it isnt valid? Or are you indicating that one of the pillars of progressivism actually does more harm than good?

Lastly, you should already know that as long as the sample size "n" is = or > than 30 (and isnt highly skewed which increases margin of error), it is adequate for a sample.

113 samples for the two school districts in question is valid unless YOU can prove otherwise. Its nearly four times the minimum (30) outlined above and therefore, provides a more accurate estimate and symmetry of the curve.

I thought you knew basic statistics?

Coba|t
TeamWarfare Vet
05-08-2012 10:02 AM / profile

Uh, no. You're showing your weak spot in math and science again.

First of all, sample size has nothing to do with accuracy if the samples are not simple random samples. These are not. They are limited to three states, in two varieties of socioeconomic areas. You're not sampling n of a population, you're already limiting yourself to a subset right off the bat.

Furthermore, n=30 is what anyone who has taken statistics would call a bare minimum sample size. IF this were a simple random sample (which it is not) and results were not biased by the researcher's multi-step qualitative analysis, then it might qualify as a pilot study indicating a need for further research.
[-NM-] -SS-
TeamWarfare Vet
05-08-2012 10:53 AM / profile

First of all, sample size has nothing to do with accuracy if the samples are not simple random samples. These are not. They are limited to three states, in two varieties of socioeconomic areas. You're not sampling n of a population, you're already limiting yourself to a subset right off the bat.

Furthermore, n=30 is what anyone who has taken statistics would call a bare minimum sample size. IF this were a simple random sample (which it is not) and results were not biased by the researcher's multi-step qualitative analysis, then it might qualify as a pilot study indicating a need for further research.

Glad you acknowledge that the samples come from a small population and admit you realize what the bare minimum needed is. 113 is more than enough considering the size population for two school districts (RTFA).

It is a simple sample because it talks about teachers (RTFA).

But obviously not simple enough for you.

.zD.SneakyFast
TWL Member
05-08-2012 12:17 PM / profile

This one time... At band camp... This girl stuck a flute in her statistical.
Post edited by .zD.SneakyFast at 5/8/2012 12:17:39 PM

Coba|t
TeamWarfare Vet
05-09-2012 07:43 PM / profile

Originally posted by: [-NM-] -SS-

Glad you acknowledge that the samples come from a small population and admit you realize what the bare minimum needed is. 113 is more than enough considering the size population for two school districts (RTFA).

It is a simple sample because it talks about teachers (RTFA).

But obviously not simple enough for you.

A simple random sample would take all teachers in the US, label them with a number, then a random number generator would pull their names at random to form a statistically significant, valid, accurate result.

Furthermore, they did not sample a population - they limited their sample population to two socioeconomic groups, a limited number of minorities, a limited number of locations, and used a qualitative analysis. All of these things alone would call into question the validity of a full N=2000 sample, let alone a sample of under a tenth of that.

I'm glad I've finally taught you something, you might be able to fail a statistics course with a 40% now.
New Thread / Reply to Thread

advertisement
GamerModz - Design Your Gear

TWL® NA Time: 7/24/2014 11:39:13 PM
TWL® EU Time: 7/25/2014 5:39:13 AM

All content © TeamWarfare.com 2000-2014
TeamWarfare League™
Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions