Skip Navigation

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »
Author
Thread New Thread / Reply to Thread
[-NM-] -SS-
TeamWarfare Vet
11-30-2010 12:58 PM / profile

The Hobbit fires casting director for thinking only white people live in Middle Earth

In an unforeseen hiccup to an otherwise butter-smooth production thus far, a casting director has been fired from The Hobbit after placing ads in New Zealand newspapers specifically calling for actors with “light skin tones” and dismissing another actor by telling her she was “too dark” to appear in the film. Peter Jackson’s production company released a statement clarifying that the casting director had acted totally alone, and that it had never made any explicit specifications that they should only be auditioning white people. All it ever did was make three Lord Of The Rings films without any black people.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-hobbit-fires-casting-director-for-thinking-onl,48362/

Wut? I thought only Americans were racist? Here I thought other Post Modern industrialist countries (like the enlightened Europeans) had achieved greater multi-cultural progress.

Whats offensive about some Black Elves and shit?

Smiling Canadian
"The Boys"
TeamWarfare Vet
11-30-2010 01:16 PM / profile

Maybe the director didn't want to have to write in a bunch of rap music and drive by shootings to accommodate black elves...
-EB- Bluedoctor
TeamWarfare Vet
11-30-2010 01:19 PM / profile

The movies should stay true to the story. People who haven't read the books should understand that they have limited information. I've already heard about this story and comments made by some jogged my memory that there were different types of Hobbits who had different characteristics and that lived in different places (though by the time of this story most had relocated to Eriador.) Some Hobbits were shorter, some were better swimmers (iirc Gollum was a Stoor from the north Anduin east of the Misty Mountains), and some had a different complexion.

There were a variety of races and peoples in middle earth. Those men with darker skin were found to east in lands like Khand and Harad (the Haradrim were featured in the second and third movies riding atop oliphants.) The Hobbit takes place in the northern parts of middle eart and primarily involves dwarves, Bilbo, some wood elves (Legolas' folk), and men from Dale. There simply weren't darker skinned characters in the story.

This controversy is a generic one that is concerned with hiring practices within the movie industry. It does not apply to the Hobbit's storyline.

~~Snake~~
On a 2 week vacation
11-30-2010 01:22 PM / profile

Politically Correct douchebaggery again. Who the fuck cares if there are no blacks. THERE ARE NO BLACKS in the stories. I wouldnt expect spike lee or some black director to put whites in so someone didnt bitch. If the movie calls for it fine but when it doesnt that is retarded.

11-30-2010 01:24 PM / profile

I found that New Zealand was a very, very multicultural place. That doesn't mean it's perfect by any means, but by and large racism isn't accepted within New Zealand society from what I was able to tell. Thats not to say that there aren't any racists in New Zealand or that racism didn't play a role in New Zealand's past, but it is not a common thing there.

And regarding the movies, well, there were certainly a fair number of Maori, Fijian, Samoan and Tongans in the first three films. They may not have played any major roles, but there were certainly many who were extras or were stunt doubles. And to be honest, there just aren't that many people of African decent (other then a fair number of white South Africans) who live in New Zealand. I'd guess most of the dark skinned people there are Indian or Pakistani.

One other thing to take into account about the movies is that the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit take place in what is effectively medieval western Europe. It makes sense that all of the major players would be white based on that alone and that doesn't make it racist either.
-EB- Bluedoctor
TeamWarfare Vet
11-30-2010 01:25 PM / profile

Originally posted by: ~~Snake~~
Politically Correct douchebaggery again. Who the fuck cares if there are no blacks. THERE ARE NO BLACKS in the stories. I wouldnt expect spike lee or some black director to put whites in so someone didnt bitch. If the movie calls for it fine but when it doesnt that is retarded.

The girl who was rejected for the part is Pakistani--not "black".
Abaques
TeamWarfare Vet

Originally posted by: -EB- Bluedoctor
The movies should stay true to the story. People who haven't read the books should understand that they have limited information. I've already heard about this story and comments made by some jogged my memory that there were different types of Hobbits who had different characteristics and that lived in different places (though by the time of this story most had relocated to Eriador.) Some Hobbits were shorter, some were better swimmers (iirc Gollum was a Stoor from the north Anduin east of the Misty Mountains), and some had a different complexion.

There were a variety of races and peoples in middle earth. Those men with darker skin were found to east in lands like Khand and Harad (the Haradrim were featured in the second and third movies riding atop oliphants.) The Hobbit takes place in the northern parts of middle eart and primarily involves dwarves, Bilbo, some wood elves (Legolas' folk), and men from Dale. There simply weren't darker skinned characters in the story.

This controversy is a generic one that is concerned with hiring practices within the movie industry. It does not apply to the Hobbit's storyline.

You are a geek of high regard sir. I salute you.
Nathan Bedford Forrest
TeamWarfare Vet

It's built off of Irish and British mythical lore. Irish, Scots, Welsh, Anglos, Saxons, Normans, and Jutes are all white people.

Political correctness is fucking stupid.

See through the propaganda. Stop empowering and enriching the state by cheering its wars. Set aside the television talking points. Look at the world anew, without the prejudices of the past, and without favoring your own government’s version of things. Be decent. Be human. Do not be deceived by the Joe Bidens, the John McCains, the Barack Obamas and Hillary Clintons. Reject the biggest government program of them all. Peace builds. War destroys.
-Lew Rockwell
Macresco
TeamWarfare Vet
11-30-2010 01:27 PM / profile

Originally posted by: [-NM-] -SS-

Wut? I thought only Americans were racist? Here I thought other Post Modern industrialist countries (like the enlightened Europeans) had achieved greater multi-cultural progress.

And where exactly do you see them saying the casting director was European?
~~Snake~~
On a 2 week vacation
11-30-2010 01:30 PM / profile

The title of this thread says "BLACKS". And some Pakistani's are darker skin than blacks so who is splitting hairs?
Bibimbap
Kimchee!
TeamWarfare Vet

The only dark skinned people I saw in the LOTR trilogy were the Uruk-hai orcs that Saruman made.
~~Snake~~
On a 2 week vacation

Originally posted by: Bibimbap
The only dark skinned people I saw in the LOTR trilogy were the Uruk-hai orcs that Saruman made.

thats more yellow-greenish. Relative?
-EB- Bluedoctor
TeamWarfare Vet
11-30-2010 01:32 PM / profile

The title of this thread says "BLACKS". And some Pakistani's are darker skin than blacks so who is splitting hairs?
True
=>PX<=Major
TeamWarfare Vet
11-30-2010 01:33 PM / profile

Originally posted by: Abaques

indeed!
-EB- Bluedoctor
TeamWarfare Vet
11-30-2010 01:33 PM / profile

Originally posted by: Abaques

Thanks
Bibimbap
Kimchee!
TeamWarfare Vet
11-30-2010 01:34 PM / profile

thats more yellow-greenish. Relative?

It's a trick with the light... Apparently, you failed to watch the movie

Based upon their skin color, you would have totally assumed that they were evil villains... or at least... they listen to RAP.
Bibimbap
Kimchee!
TeamWarfare Vet
11-30-2010 01:38 PM / profile

In the meantime... M.Night Shalamananam diversifies the world of The Last Airbender... and fucks up the entire movie.
~~Snake~~
On a 2 week vacation
11-30-2010 01:40 PM / profile

In the meantime... M.Night Shalamananam diversifies the world of The Last Airbender... and fucks up the entire movie.
I almost rented it. Is it really that bad? Any action? Or is the acting just horrible or the story or both?????????????
Bibimbap
Kimchee!
TeamWarfare Vet
11-30-2010 01:48 PM / profile

I almost rented it. Is it really that bad? Any action? Or is the acting just horrible or the story or both?????????????

The special effects were kinda cool, but my son summed the action up in one sentence.

"The fights are stupid, they're just standing there waving their arms like idiots."

I looked... and yeah... they're just standing there, waving their arms like idiots.
~~Snake~~
On a 2 week vacation
11-30-2010 02:17 PM / profile

The special effects were kinda cool, but my son summed the action up in one sentence.

"The fights are stupid, they're just standing there waving their arms like idiots."

I looked... and yeah... they're just standing there, waving their arms like idiots.
That sucks. The preview looked good! Is it even worth renting?

[-NM-] -SS-
TeamWarfare Vet
11-30-2010 02:39 PM / profile

Originally posted by: Macresco
Originally posted by: [-NM-] -SS-

And where exactly do you see them saying the casting director was European?

Yes! Exactly! Someone create an [MS Paint] award for the genius of this powerful and insightful observation. Hang it next to MalAria's selfless service and good humanitarian award.

============

Mack and Snake:

Look here you two conservative fruitcakes: Dont you have some fucking customers to bitch about? And Snake, this thread is right up your alley. This is serious business and the rest of us enlightened individuals need to figure out how this could have gone so horribly wrong.

Now you two fucks get with the program and discuss this thread or go start a mega thread about the last queerbender. GTFO bitches.

Thank you for your cooperation.

New Thread / Reply to Thread
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »

advertisement
GamerModz - Design Your Gear

TWL® NA Time: 7/30/2014 11:09:38 AM
TWL® EU Time: 7/30/2014 5:09:38 PM

All content © TeamWarfare.com 2000-2014
TeamWarfare League™
Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions