Skip Navigation

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Author
Thread New Thread / Reply to Thread
Killet
I Worship GoddessWolfie
TeamWarfare Vet
05-05-2011 03:12 PM / profile

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/159397-obama-floats-plan-to-tax-cars-by-the-mile

"Obama administration floats draft plan to tax cars by the mile

The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.

The plan is a part of the administration's Transportation Opportunities Act, an undated draft of which was obtained this week by Transportation Weekly.

The White House, however, said the bill is only an early draft that was not formally circulated within the administration.

“This is not an administration proposal," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said. "This is not a bill supported by the administration. This was an early working draft proposal that was never formally circulated within the administration, does not taken into account the advice of the president’s senior advisers, economic team or Cabinet officials, and does not represent the views of the president.”

News of the draft follows a March Congressional Budget Office report that supported the idea of taxing drivers based on miles driven.

Among other things, CBO suggested that a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax could be tracked by installing electronic equipment on each car to determine how many miles were driven; payment could take place electronically at filling stations."

OK so if they need to raise more highway funds wouldnt it just be easier to raise the tax on gasoline at the pump instead of putting all this additional infrastructure in place? thoughts?
the wierdo
i before e, except after...wtf?
TeamWarfare Vet
05-05-2011 03:24 PM / profile

We can fund new highways and increase national security at the same time!
Pillbug
Diplomat
TeamWarfare Vet
05-05-2011 03:47 PM / profile

Originally posted by: the wierdo

And pay 400% increases on out-of-season fruit!
Killet
I Worship GoddessWolfie
TeamWarfare Vet
05-05-2011 03:48 PM / profile

apparently, but only foreign national security, not border national security
mx+b
TeamWarfare Vet
TWL Retired Staff
05-05-2011 05:23 PM / profile

Nothing different versus privately controlled highways.
the wierdo
TeamWarfare Vet
05-05-2011 05:36 PM / profile

Originally posted by: Pillbug

Avocados are expensive enough you assholes. Stop gouging guacamole lovers like me.
Pillbug
Diplomat
TeamWarfare Vet
05-05-2011 05:47 PM / profile

Avocados are expensive enough you assholes. Stop gouging guacamole lovers like me.

Oh hell. The authentic Mexican restaurant an 40 minutes from where I live uses all natural ingredients and everything is made from scratch. When avocados are out of season, the price on any of their dishes with it in there, or as a side, is insane.
the wierdo
TeamWarfare Vet
05-05-2011 06:09 PM / profile

I live in California so basically our entire state is a Mexican restaurant. Of course you still have to sift through a lot of ordinary ones to get that one place in town that makes everything from scratch, doesn't use too much grease, actually knows what mole is and how to make it, and hopefully makes some good fish too.
(SF) DirtyRatFink
TeamWarfare Vet
05-05-2011 06:09 PM / profile

How do you eat your avocados? I have a friend who was just telling me that if you cut it in half, take out the pit, pour sushi and sashimi soy sauce in the crater, and let it soak in, it is supposed to be delicious. But it has to be the sushi and sashimi soy sauce, not regular.

On a related note, when I was down in Colombia, there were street vendors who would sell avocados, and I shit you not, they were the size of footballs.
the wierdo
TeamWarfare Vet
05-05-2011 06:15 PM / profile

Same thing for Costa Rican avocados -- they were massive whenever I bought some when I was in the country. It seems like everyone in or near central America can grow fruits to absurd sizes for very little money. Have you ever had tamarind? I love that stuff too.

Usually with avocados I just make guacamole with chopped onions and homegrown cilantro and lime, but it's also really good with just a little salt and nothing else, pit removed, or on a warm chunk of bread with a little salt. I have never ever tried it with soy sauce Maybe someday I'll be brave enough.
Post edited by the wierdo at 5/5/2011 6:19:30 PM
~~Snake~~
On a 2 week vacation
05-05-2011 06:34 PM / profile

Originally posted by: Killet
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/159397-obama-floats-plan-to-tax-cars-by-the-mile

"Obama administration floats draft plan to tax cars by the mile

The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.

The plan is a part of the administration's Transportation Opportunities Act, an undated draft of which was obtained this week by Transportation Weekly.

The White House, however, said the bill is only an early draft that was not formally circulated within the administration.

“This is not an administration proposal," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said. "This is not a bill supported by the administration. This was an early working draft proposal that was never formally circulated within the administration, does not taken into account the advice of the president’s senior advisers, economic team or Cabinet officials, and does not represent the views of the president.”

News of the draft follows a March Congressional Budget Office report that supported the idea of taxing drivers based on miles driven.

Among other things, CBO suggested that a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax could be tracked by installing electronic equipment on each car to determine how many miles were driven; payment could take place electronically at filling stations."

OK so if they need to raise more highway funds wouldnt it just be easier to raise the tax on gasoline at the pump instead of putting all this additional infrastructure in place? thoughts?
MORE FUCKING TAXES! THANK YOU PRESIDENT OBAMA!

TeamWarfare Vet
05-05-2011 06:41 PM / profile

Please don't bring politics into the guacamole thread Snake.
[-NM-] -SS-
TeamWarfare Vet
05-05-2011 07:50 PM / profile

I live in California so basically our entire state is a Mexican restaurant.

That's racist.

Where is that fucking crybaby asshole, P-Tako at? I bet he wont denounce you for it.

[still funny as fuck though.. and not really racist]

samUwell
TeamWarfare Vet
TWL Contributor
05-05-2011 08:29 PM / profile

fuck yeah it is. thats probably why my favorite food is Mexican.

think ill make some burritos tonight.
CaptPlanet
TeamWarfare Vet
05-05-2011 09:11 PM / profile

So is today like a state holiday for you?
samUwell
TeamWarfare Vet
TWL Contributor
05-05-2011 09:33 PM / profile

Originally posted by: CaptPlanet
So is today like a state holiday for you?
no but, tomorrow should be due to how many people will be hung over.
Cocytus
TeamWarfare Vet
05-06-2011 08:59 AM / profile

Same thing for Costa Rican avocados -- they were massive whenever I bought some when I was in the country. It seems like everyone in or near central America can grow fruits to absurd sizes for very little money. Have you ever had tamarind? I love that stuff too.

Usually with avocados I just make guacamole with chopped onions and homegrown cilantro and lime, but it's also really good with just a little salt and nothing else, pit removed, or on a warm chunk of bread with a little salt. I have never ever tried it with soy sauce Maybe someday I'll be brave enough.

Get ready for me to blow your......mind!

Boil an egg, dice it and throw it into your guac mix!

You will fucking kiss my balls bitch!

Our illegal San Salvadoran maid would make it every Saturday night with tacos.

Not sure where you are in Cal, but there's a place in Calabasas called La Paz. Very good Mexican food, authentic!
Stryk
TeamWarfare Vet
05-06-2011 08:43 PM / profile

Getting a highway built is next to impossible thanks to environmental legislation.
the wierdo
TeamWarfare Vet
05-06-2011 10:11 PM / profile

You're right, in part, but we don't really need new highways. On the West coast, we only need them for places like LA, where the environment has been paved into oblivion anyway. They can't be built or expanded because of property rights. The same, I think, goes for places like Washington D.C.

The Economist just had a good article on American infrastructure. We outspend Great Britain two to one per capita when it comes to building new roads, but they outspend us on maintaining them. To a degree that makes sense given our size, but I wouldn't say we need even more new roads (except in places where they literally can't fit, so that's irrelevant).

It seems like our car-driven economy worked really well for more than a half-century, but we're finally catching up to the scale of our country. At some point, very soon, we will reach the point where public transportation is both necessary and cost effective. Right now it's just the first. And then I'll agree with you. At that time, we should fast track the demolition of private property and wild lands if it means we get a competent, 21st century form of public transportation.
Buzzed
Weird Al fanboi
TeamWarfare Vet
TWL Contributor
05-07-2011 11:13 AM / profile

WTF? What the hell is the current gasoline tax for then?

Are they nuts? People are getting ass raped at the pumps already and now they want to increase the price of a gas fill up with this new tax while spending millions or maybe even billions installing new equipment to track vehicle milage while in a budget deficit?

Does anyone remember Obama creating a task force to investigate price gouging by the oil companies? And then pull this new gasoline tax?
Post edited by Buzzed at 5/7/2011 11:22:34 AM
Mockery
TeamWarfare Vet
05-07-2011 12:32 PM / profile

Originally posted by: Stryk
Getting a highway built is next to impossible thanks to environmental legislation.

Instead of new highways I'd be happy with them finally maintaining some of our old ones that I already pay wayyyyy too much taxes for them not to fix properly (and/or fix at all).
Post edited by Mockery at 5/7/2011 12:33:00 PM
New Thread / Reply to Thread
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »

advertisement
GamerModz - Design Your Gear

TWL® NA Time: 7/24/2014 11:39:21 PM
TWL® EU Time: 7/25/2014 5:39:21 AM

All content © TeamWarfare.com 2000-2014
TeamWarfare League™
Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions